At Bay Area Esthetics, we believe that performing reconstructive surgery better informs us on patient anatomy, which improves our outcomes in esthetic surgery. Similarly, we believe that by regularly performing cosmetic surgery, our reconstructive patients will benefit from more esthetically pleasing results. We do not believe reconstructive and cosmetic surgery should be separate. In fact, we strive to improve form and function for all of our patients.
Why Choose B.A.E. Plastic Surgery
- Our philosophy is that great results should not only restore your function and heal your wounds, but should provide you with the most esthetically results possible.
- Our mission is to provide personalized, concierge-level service for all of our patients.
- We have adopted the latest technologies and techniques that make reconstructive outcomes better and safer. From performing microsurgery and lymphatic surgery to targeted muscle reinnervation, we provide state-of-the-art world-class care to our patients in a private setting.
- We will adapt our reconstructive options to suit your lifestyle and preferences so that you can heal both mentally and physically following surgery.
It’s time to take the next step and experience the difference reconstructive surgery by Bay Area Esthetics can make for you. Please contact us through our confidential online form or call / text 415-523-5235 to schedule a consultation with us.
Schedule a Consultation
Please contact us online or call (415) 523-5235 to schedule a surgical consultation with Dr. Pourtaheri.
Your Reconstructive Surgery Consultation Appointment
Before your first visit, you will be asked to complete an intake form to document your personal and medical history, prior surgeries, medications, and allergies. At your visit we will review your goals and concerns. We will also want to learn more specifically about any prior surgeries you have undergone and further treatments planned for you.
We will examine you and assess your areas of concern to determine a list of options for reconstruction. We will also take photographs that will be used to help plan your surgery and track your progress afterward. You will have a chance to review these images and discuss the plan with us prior to surgery.
Meet Dr. Pourtaheri
Dr. Navid Pourtaheri is a Board Certified, Fellowship Trained Plastic Surgeon. An engineer before becoming a surgeon, Dr. Pourtaheri has a leg up when it comes to problem solving and surgical planning with the latest technology.
Reconstructive Surgery Procedures
At B.A.E. we are thorough when it comes to our reconstruction patients. We may offer additional procedures down the road to help maximize your outcomes, both functionally and esthetically. Reconstructive procedures can vary greatly based on the status and location of your wounds, your overall health, and any future treatments you may need to undergo.
Cancer care is best performed with a multidisciplinary team approach. At B.A.E., we will work closely with your oncology team and surgery team, which may include breast surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, general surgeons, colorectal surgeons, Mohs surgeons, and oncologists. Below is a list of our cancer reconstruction offerings.
- Breast cancer reconstruction and lymphatic surgery – click here to read about our advanced procedures for breast cancer reconstruction and lymphatic surgery.
- Skin cancer removal and reconstruction – We treat all skin cancers, including melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and basal cell carcinoma, throughout the body. We offer skin cancer removal and reconstruction. We also offer reconstruction after Mohs surgery. The reconstruction will depend on your diagnosis, the cancer type and size, and body area involved. At your consultation we will review this information and discuss specific reconstructive options. Some options may include skin closure with sutures or using your own tissue (skin grafts and flaps).
- Scalp / skull reconstruction following brain tumor surgery – we work closely with neurosurgeons to provide options for scalp soft tissue coverage and skull reconstruction. In the case of skull reconstruction we can use a process known as 3-D modeling and stereolithography to fabricate custom implants specific for reconstructing your skull defect.
- Pelvic floor (perineal) reconstruction after colorectal, pelvic, and gynecological cancers – cancers of the genitalia, reproductive organs, anus, and rectum can all necessitate varying degrees of removal or disruption of the pelvic floor. We provide reconstructive options to close your pelvic floor defect and, when applicable, reconstruct your vagina. We like to perform these procedures in concert with your cancer surgeon in the same surgery.
- Abdominal wall reconstruction – following tumor resection or after multiple hernia surgeries, patients can have a paucity of tissue to close their abdomen. We use advanced reconstructive techniques including component separation and flaps to help close your abdomen and keep your vital organs safe.
- Extremity cancers / orthopedic oncology reconstruction – orthopedic or bone tumors most commonly develop in children but can also happen in adults. Regardless of patient age, we are able to provide structural support for your reconstruction in the form of an osseous (bone) flap or graft. We like to perform these procedures in concert with your orthopedic surgeon in the same surgery.
Trauma reconstruction is best performed with a multidisciplinary team approach. At B.A.E., we will work closely with the rest of your trauma team members, which may include general surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, ophthalmologists, oral surgeons, intensivists, and therapists. Below is a list of our trauma reconstruction offerings.
- Orthopedic trauma reconstruction – We offer patients of San Francisco and Sonoma County limb salvage options after lower extremity trauma. If you suffer an accident to your arms or legs, you may need surgery with an orthopedic surgeon and sometimes also with a plastic surgeon. Severe injuries to the can involve broken bones along with devitalized or avulsed skin and soft tissue. We perform various procedures to protect important structures, such as bones, tendon, nerves, blood vessels, and hardware, to allow you to focus on your recovery and eventually move again. These procedures may include using your own tissue (free flaps, local flaps, skin grafts), skin substitutes, or regenerative medicine options.
- Targeted muscle reinnervation – We offer patients who have suffered an amputation, the latest techniques to improve pain and maximize prosthesis control. Targeted muscle reinnervation involves connecting exploring the nerves near the site of amputation and redirecting them to your muscles in order to quiet the nerves and improve your pain. This can be performed at the same time as your amputation to prevent symptoms, or after symptoms develop. This technique can also provide additional inputs for advanced prostheses control to increase your degrees of movement.
- Facial trauma reconstruction – Broken bones in the face (facial fractures) occur most commonly after motor-vehicle and sports accidents. Depending on which bones are broken and how much the bones next to the break have moved, you may need surgery to fix these fractures with plates and screws. We will make this determination by analyzing your imaging and examining your face/teeth. Surgery for facial fractures can have very important functional outcomes, including returning your teeth to their preinjury alignment, supporting your eye(s) to prevent or correct double vision, improving breathing through your nose, and stabilizing/immobilizing facial bones to allowing for healing and resolution of pain. Repairing facial fractures can also serve the important purpose of restoring facial appearance, such as forehead and cheek contour/projection. Timing of your surgery will depend on your specific injury. Surgery will take place before swelling develops or after it resolves and before the broken bones begin to heal. We will discuss this specifically at your consultation.
- Wound care – We help patients with open wounds using a variety of treatments and procedures that can reduce healing time and improve outcomes. First, we offer a holistic approach optimizing your nutritional status and wound environment to give you the best chances of healing. We also provide state-of-the-art treatments and procedures to facilitate wound healing including local flaps and grafts, microvascular surgery, regenerative medicine, and hyperbaric oxygen.
- Scar revision – We offer patients who have suffered trauma a chance to have their scars fade as much as possible. We accomplish this by providing scar care recommendations and procedures that may involve excision, dermabrasion, or laser therapy.
We provide cancer and trauma reconstruction consultations after referral from your treating physician(s) or hospital. We can perform your reconstruction in San Francisco or Sonoma County based on your preference. If you have questions about your eligibility for a procedure, please contact us online using our confidential online form or call / text 415-523-5235 to schedule a consultation.
Flying in For Surgery
If you’re flying in from out of town to see Dr. Pourtaheri, Team BAE will arrange the process to make it as easy as possible for you.
Contact B.A.E for more information or to schedule a consultation.
Your information will be kept confidential.